Monday, March 1, 2010

Grandma's Riding Coat

So,
When I came to visit grandma at the beginning of the month and she realized I could knit, even though I had already knit her a Hemlock Throw (Rav. Link), she requested a sweater. On my trip, I had brought along a bunch of my knitting magazines and books, which included the Fall/Winter 2009 issue of Debbie Bliss Magazine and right on the cover was a jacke that was perfect for her: The Riding Jacket. So, I went ahead, showed her the magazine and the photo of the jacket and got the approval to go ahead. Well, this meant I needed yarn. Remember my rather large yarn purchase a while back, when I told you I had splurged but that all the yarns had a project in mind. Well the boxes arrived with my beautiful yarns and in it was the Cascade Ecological Wool that was meant for this Riding Coat.

Here's the photo of the colorway I originally posted about earlier in February
1122_8087_zoom_1

The color is Coffee and the yarn is luciously soft... I love it and it's perfect for grandma. She's not the showy type so a nicely colored brown is just what she was looking for. So I went to work and I have to tell you, I never knew that rows upon rows of garter stitch would be so much fun. Not only that, I never in my wildest dreams thought this would be a jacket I would want to make for myself. But, nope everytime I complete one section of the coat, I look at it and say "I have to order more eco wool because this jacket is just too pretty." It's not at all boxy like I thought it would be, nope it has some wonderful waist shaping and flares out at the hips which for grandma is great, but come on imagine it with a pair of skinny jeans.. HELLO! Have to make one in a hot color for me... it's definitely on my list!

So, on a final note I finally have borrowed a normal human digital camera to start taking pictures with. The best part is, I don't have to return it any time soon because the person I borrowed it from (thanks Uncle) already has a newer one and so I might offer to go ahead and buy this one from him! Now, enjoy normal pictures of the Riding Coat... :o)

Pictures of the back and left front:
Riding Coat1

Look at that hot collar:
Riding Coat 2

Isn't it funny how different knitting can look from a different angle, here's rows and rows of garter stitch at eye level:
IMG_2099

2 comments: